The Ministry’s Legal department is responsible for the following:
- Drafting Court Affidavits, Summaries of Opposition and giving instructions on behalf of the Ministry in response to Court applications.
- Giving legal advice to the Ministry Departments.
- Scrutinizing and giving opinions on Draft Bills and Regulations. Legal drafting and giving advice on Contracts, Circulars, General Letters, Agreements and Conventions.
- Preparing memorandum of principles and draft Bills for the amendment of Acts
- Interpreting the Public Service Regulations and the Public Service Act and assisting other Departments with the correct interpretation of Legislation.
- Conducting research and writing opinions on legal issues.
- Preparing and circulating monthly reports highlighting activities carried out
- Attending court with the Attorney General’s Office and Civil Division lawyers to provide guidance on cases.
- Preparing memoranda of understanding with partners